Assistant Professor of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
- Ph.D. (2010) in Mechanical Engineering, Virginia Tech (advisors: Daniel J. Inman, Kevin B. Kochersberger)
- M.S. (2007) in ME, Virginia Tech (advisors: Andrew J. Kurdilla, D. J. Inman, K. B. Kochersberger)
- B.S. (2005) in ME, Virginia Tech (magna cum laude in honors – Commonwealth Scholar)
My career goal is to advance and disseminate scientific knowledge on smart-material systems by conducting advanced research, become an expert in the area of smart-material based systems and morphing structures, teaching and advising at the undergraduate and graduate levels. In my career so far, I have had the opportunity to conduct research in a variety of multidisciplinary research topics involving coupled aerodynamic, mechanical and electrical phenomenon. These topics include structural vibrations, modal analysis, composites, vibration energy harvesting from variety of smart-material-embedded structures, morphing control surfaces, and small Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS). I have a strong interest in coupling smart material based structures in biological systems, soft (compliant) robotics and mechatronics as applicable to conventional aviation, UAS, and automobile industries.
Assistant Professor (July 2012 – Current)
Old Dominion University, Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Virginia, USA
- Research on variable-fidelity modeling, optimization and experimental characterization of smart-material-embedded systems and structures
- Director of the Smart Systems Laboratory [ odu.edu/mae/research/ssl ]
- Advising Ph.D. and M.S. students
- Teaching undergraduate courses Vibrations (MAE 404/504), Kinematics (431/531) and ME-Design (332), and graduate courses Advanced Mechanics of Solids (MAE 603)
- Advising two interdisciplinary capstone senior design projects with Mechanical, Aerospace and Electrical Engineering students since Fall 2013.
- Advising independent study courses since Summer 2013
- Advising ODU Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) Award recipients
- Member of four departmental committees and actively involved in service to the community
Research Officer (Post-Doctoral) (September 2010 – July 2012)
Swansea University, College of Engineering, Swansea, United Kingdom
Graduate Research Assistant (January 2006 – August 2010)
Virginia Tech, Mechanical Engineering, Virginia, USA
Graduate Teaching Assistant (August 2005 – December 2005)
Virginia Tech, Mechanical Engineering, Virginia, USA
AWARDS & FELLOWSHIPS
- Shining Star Recognition, ODU Division of Student Engagement and Enrollment Services, Fall 2015.
- Dean’s Faculty Development Grant, ODU Batten College of Engineering and Technology, Fall 2015.
- Dean’s Faculty Development Grant, ODU Batten College of Engineering and Technology, Spring 2014.
- Most Inspirational Faculty Member of Batten College of Engineering and Technology, Old Dominion University, Fall 2013: Selected as the “most inspiration faculty” by the BCET student, from the Mechanical Engineering program, graduating in Fall 2013 with the highest GPA.
- BOEING Engineering Student of the Year 2010 Award: 3rd place in the BOEING Flightglobal Achievement Awards 2010.
- NSF Fellowship for the ASME 1st Global Congress on NanoEngineering for Medicine and Biology, Houston, Texas, February 7-10, 2010.
- ASME / BOEING 2008 Structures & Materials Award: Best Paper Award for the paper “Morphing Wing Micro-Air-Vehicles via Macro-Fiber-Composite Actuators” presented at the AIAA SDM 2007 Conference, Honolulu, HI, April 23-26, 2007.
- Virginia Tech College of Engineering Fellowship, 2005-2006.
- Virginia Tech University Honors Student, Commonwealth Scholar with Magna cum Laude.
- Virginia Tech Eleanor Davenport Leadership Scholarship, 2004-2005.
- Virginia Tech Edward H. Cahill Memorial Scholarship, 2003-2004.
- Virginia Tech Dean’s List, Fall 2002 – Spring 2005.
- George Washington University Dean’s Honor List, Spring 2002.
- George Washington University Presidential Achievement Scholarship, Fall 2002 and Spring 2003.
SERVICE - TECHNICAL COMMITTEES & CONFERENCES
- ASME SMASIS 2015, Integrated System Design and Implementation Symposium (ISDIS) – selected as Symposium Chair
- ASME SMASIS 2013 & 2014, ISDIS Symposium – serving as Symposium Co-chair
- ASME SMASIS 2013, Integrated System Design and Implementation Symposium – Session Chair
- ASME SMASIS 2013, Bio-Inspired Smart Materials and Systems Symposium – Session Chair
- AIAA Adaptive Structures Technical Committee - Member
- ASME ASMS Branch – Member and Webmaster
- ASME ASMS Active Material Technologies and Integrated Systems Technical Committee - Member
- ASME ASMS Mechanics & Behavior of Active Materials Technical Committee - Member
- ASME ASMS Bio-Inspired Smart Materials and Systems Technical Committee – Member
SERVICE – K-12 OUTREACH
- Smart Systems Summer Camp (S3C), Summer 2014: Mentored two high school students on scientific research and experimentation. The two students, both members of underrepresented groups in STEM disciplines, conducted experiments on vibration energy harvesting.
- STEM Robotics Technical Advisor, Fall 2012 – Spring 2014: Mentoring elementary school students to learn about STEM opportunities through robotics. Worked with Ms. Emily Rathbone and Ms. Christina Troxell at the Shelton Park Elementary School, in cooperation with Virginia Beach City Public Schools, to help students prepare for the STEM Robotics Challenge on May 31, 2013. At the 2013 competition, The Lions team advanced to semi-finals and achieved 29th position with a total of 53 points.
- DC STEM Fair – ASME Washington DC Section Special Award Judge, March 23, 2013: Participated in the fair, held at the Wilson High School of DC Public Schools, for the purpose of selecting a special award recipient with the special award coordinator Paul Biztop and two other judges.
- STEM Presentation for 7th Grade Students, 2009: Taught a lecture and gave a presentation/demonstration at a 7th grade science class at the James Madison Middle School in Roanoke, Virginia.
- STEM Presentation for 6th Grade Students, 2007: Taught a lecture and gave a presentation/demonstration at a 6th grade science class at the West Wood Middle School in Danville, Virginia.
SERVICE – JOURNAL REVIEWS
- Transactions on Mechatronics, IEEE / ASME
- Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, SAGE
- Journal of Composite Materials, SAGE
- Journal of Aircraft, AIAA
- Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, AIAA
- Journal of Vibration and Acoustics, ASME
- Journal of Vibration and Control, SAGE
- Sensors, MDPI (open access)
- Actuators, MDPI (open access)
- Smart Materials Research, Hindawi (open access)
- Aerospace Science and Technology, Elsevier
- Journal of Sound and Vibration, Elsevier
- Smart Materials and Structures, IOP
- AIAA Journal, AIAA
- Smart Structures and Systems, Techno Press (open access)
- Sensors Journal, IEEE
- Experimental Mechanics, Springer
- International Journal of Structural Stability and Dynamics, World Scientific
- Journal of Unmanned Vehicle Systems, NRC Research Press
- European Physical Journal, EDP Sciences - Springer
SERVICE – CONFERENCE, COMPETITION & PANEL REVIEWS
- 2015 AIAA SciTech Conference – Unmanned Systems, reviewer
- 2013 & 2014 ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress & Exposition, reviewer
- 2014 DOD/ASEE NDSEG Fellowship Panel, reviewer
- 2013 & 2014 SPIE Smart Structures/NDE Conference, SPIE/ASME Best Student Paper Presentation Contest, judge
- 2013 & 2014 AIAA Adaptive Structures Conference, reviewer